Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tiered Cake - Day 4



Well - it's done!! Keep in mind when viewing these pictures that this is NOT a finished cake - it was only for me to practice stacking - which actually was the easiest part of the whole process!! If I didn't put it all together just to take it apart and cut it up, I would have put on some finishes touches to make it look nicer, but it hardly seemed worth the effort when all we wanted to do was cut it up and taste it!! :-)

Fondant finished on Top Tier...

Fondant on 3rd Tier...

In process on 2nd tier...

Tier 2 complete - this was the best one - I was figuring out what to do and not do before rolling the fondant - so this tier came out smoother than the first 2...

Bottom Tier - the chocolate fondant was dryer than the other and was harder to work with - so it didn't turn out as pretty. I read some reviews from others who said the chocolate fondant works better if used right after making it rather than letting it sit - so I'll have to try that if I use it again...

Ready to be stacked...

Inserting the dowel rods...

Measuring...

I need to buy something that I can use to cut the dowels, but in the meantime Brad was a big help!!

2nd tier with dowels...

Isabella wanted to help too...


Ok - all the tiers have the dowel rods and are ready to be stacked... Here we go...



I could not believe how easy it was to stack these cakes. I think the fact that they are covered in fondant makes it even easier because I can touch the sides to move them around without messing anything up...

Isabella thought it was beautiful!! :-)


I moved the top tier around a few times to try and get the best shot...


It looked the best this way - but again it would have looked so much better if I'd done some finishing to cover up the raw edges between the layers...

From the back - you can see two of my "issue" spots on the bottom tier...


Ok now for the good stuff - what's on the inside???

Top 2 tiers - Lemon Cake with Lemon Buttercream filling...

Disassembling 2nd tier...

Strawberry Cake with Vanilla Buttercream filling...

Bottom Tier - Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Buttercream filling...

We boxed up most of the cake to share between all the families at Thanksgiving (hoping not to waste too much of it). But here is our little plate we made to taste right away...

Now my fridge is full of giant lasagna pans full of cake...

It wasn't hard to find taste testers!! We all thought all the tiers tasted great!! :-)

4 comments:

Jennifer Burgett said...

WOW!!!! The cake looks amazing! I can never cover my cakes that smoothly in fondant. Tell me your secret!!! :)

Christi said...

I watched a few videos on youtube?? Work my way down the sides slowly and have lots of extra around the bottom!!

Hopefully the REAL ones will turn out as nice!! :-)

Christi said...

I bought a fondant smoother - but honestly I found it easier to just use my hands!!

Jennifer Burgett said...

They are BEAUTIFUL and I am sure the wedding cake will be perfect!