Monday, November 22, 2010

Tiered Cake - Day 1, 2 & 3

I have never stacked cakes before, but have been asked by my brother to make his wedding cake in a few weeks. I decided to go ahead and do a practice run so I'd be more comfortable stacking the cakes when it's for real. Here's my process so far...

Day 1: Made 3 batches of Marshmallow Fondant

For the wedding - everything will be white. But for practice I added color for fun. Oh and the brown is chocolate and tastes like a tootsie roll!!! :-)



Day 2: Made 3 batches of buttercream icing for the fillings in each tier (2 were flavored - peanut butter & lemon). Also made 5 batches of stiff buttercream icing to cover the cakes before covering with fondant. I got all the buttercream recipes here.

Day 3: Baked all cakes (Chocolate, Strawberry, & Lemon) and filled and iced each tier. Everything is now in the fridge ready for the fondant and stacking tomorrow...



I hope to have the cake completed and stacked tomorrow - so check back for pictures of the finished product in the next couple of days. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog through your Mom. We are in Alluring together. I love your cakes!! Looking forward to seeing the wedding cake in December, too. I love
decorating cakes, too, but have never entered the world of the fondant! :). Keep up the amazing work!

Patty

Christi said...

Thanks!! Officially my first comment ever on this new baking blog!! :-) Fondant isn't too bad - and making Marshmallow Fondant is pretty easy. You should try it sometime!! I watched a lot of videos on youtube about fondant before attempting to cover a cake myself - it was very helpful!!